HHW Continues to Be Successful
The HHW collection has continued to be successful since the initial year of the program in 2007. The amount of waste collected in 2018 for the three-county area is 61,000 pounds higher since the initial year of the event.
For the 2018 collection day, Mason, Manistee, and Oceana Counties collected 115,000 pounds of hazardous waste from 900 households. HHW collected in 2018, among the three counties include:
- 601 pounds pharmaceuticals
- 2,088 pounds recycled auto batteries
- 6,245 pounds pesticides
- 16,697 pounds recycled oil
- 16,773 pounds oil-based paints
- 31,475 pounds hazardous waste
- 36,166 pounds electronics and appliances
This amounts to an average of $82 per car to cover the cost of disposal. Total program expenses for 2018 exceeded $68,000.